Pages

Friday, June 1, 2012

Summer Reading List

    
     I always end up surprising myself with what I end up reading, so making a list is still fun! And sharing/exchanging lists is even morefun, so I hope you'll share your lists and recommendations with me :) First I'll share my reading plans, then I'll give a few recommendations of great books I read this year! Here's what's cooking at the moment:

What's on My List?
  • The Beautiful Days of My Youth by Ana Novac.
               -I'm reading this one for research purposes in my novel, but also because historical reads are growing on me! If you are at all interested in studying the Holocaust (cheery, I know), this book may be a good pick.
  • Jersey Tomatos are the Best by Maria Padian.
               -I've already begun reading this one (as you can see if you look right...a little more...yep, on my bookshelf!). It wasn't part of the plan, originally, but the voice caught me up instantly. If you've read any of my book reviews, you know voice is a big factor in whether I like a novel. Plus, it pairs a dynamic, athletic duo in the package of two best friends--a tennis stud(ette), and a ballet star. These contemporary teens will have you laughing and longing to play, too.
  • The Notebook by Nicolas Sparks
               -Saw the movie. It = <3. I may finally get around to reading the book. Woo Hoo!
  • Pretties by Scott Westerfield
               -Thanks to a good friend of mine (Thanks Cora!), I picked up the first book of this series, called Uglies. I also ended up studying it for a plot program I've been working. It was a great read, especially with its rousing plot. I reviewed it on Goodreads, if you would like my whole opinion of it.
  • Writing the Breakout Novel by Donald Maass
               -This book popped up in several places, boasting high ratings and recommendations. Despite its rather boring cover, I picked it up enthusiastically. So glad I did! I'm working my way through it slowly to pick up every gem of knowledge I can.


My Recommendations (if you're interested! :)
  • The Scorpio Races by Maggie Steifvater.
                -Did you see this coming? Yeah, I figured. If not, read my rave review. Two reasons to read this mythical beast of novel: (1) It's a Teens Top Ten Pick, & (2) it won the Printz Award. Plus...it's fun without being forgettable. Perfect for summer! This book is going to hit it big, folks. You'll be right on board with the market if you read this now.
  • The Saturdays by Elizabeth Enright
                 -Or, really, this whole adorable series. If you have kids, this is clean, brilliant fun from the 1940s. Mona, Rush, Randy and Oliver are the perfect kids for your children to follow around--not to mention dear father and Cuffy, the housekeeper.
  • Graceling by Kristin Cashore
                 -For the Fantasy enthusiasts. This summer is prime-time to read Kristin Cashore's fantasy books because the long-awaited next installment, Bitterblue, has come into the world! Novels by Cashore are slow in coming, so Bitterblue requires celebration--besides the fact that both of her previous novels are fantastic.
  • The Hobbit by You-know-Who (a.k.a J.R.R. Tolkien. Wow. Look at all those periods.)
                 -Know why this is a timely book to read? Because the movie is coming out on December 13th this year. This is the last summer to read the series and be ready for the movie! Enjoy this classic.
  • Walking on Water: Reflections on Faith and Art by Madeleine L'Engle
                 -This book deserved much more than a simple review (which you can see by clicking on the book's picture in the bookshelf to the right). In this age, when faith and art seem at opposite ends of the spectrum, we need a readjustment. This book provided that, for me. I can't recommend it as highly as it should be recommended.

     I wish you a grand summer filled with books! And now, I am about two begin my next NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) adventure: Camp NaNoWriMo (the same noveling adventure, but set in the summer). Check it out, if you want inspiration! If you want to know what NaNoWriMo is all about, click my "Useful Websites" label, and scroll to the bottom the of that page. There's a post on what it is, and why it's useful.
     See you next week!


No comments:

Post a Comment