Pages

Monday, September 30, 2013

Project Gutenberg: Free eBooks!

Old Book
Project Gutenberg gives out old books (like this one!) for free. I could kiss 'em.
If you've never heard of Project Gutenberg, you are due for enlightenment!

This digital library gives out free eBooks in lots of formats. You can read them on your computer or put them on an eReader. Also, all of the books were 1) previously published by what they specify as "bona fide" publishers, and 2) digitized and proofread by volunteers.

It can be great, in a pinch, when I realize I need a copy of such and such a book to just click over to PG and find what I need. I was reading Moll Flanders the other day for class and I realized my copy was missing an important author's note. PG saved the day!

Most of the books are free because their copyrights have expired, so they are especially great for historical fiction writers or researchers looking for primary sources, period pieces, etc. I've used the books both for school projects and historical fiction before. A fellow scribbler friend of mine downloaded an old sea story to study atmosphere for her own writing. (Hi, M! :)

But the website also offers many classics such as Sherlock Holmes and Alice in Wonderland.

Check it out, ye old Book Bandits!

Photo Attribution:
By David Kennedy (Own work) [GFDL (http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html) or CC-BY-3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0)], via Wikimedia Commons

No comments:

Post a Comment