Pages

Friday, November 11, 2011

NaNoWriMo


So. Since it's November, let me tell you about NaNoWriMo. This acronym stands for National Novel Writing Month. This program is the glorious reason I began writing in the first place! Let me share the wonder with YOU!
Every November 1st, serious or silly and definitely insane people who want to write novels gather together (online) to hack out 50,000 words for the next 30 days. That's 1,667 words a day in order to finish during the time limit and "win"!
The website has a zillion gadgets to inspire you and induce the insanity required for this wonderful task: a word count graph, a profile page, numerous forums on every subject, a helpful online community, and pep-talks from published writers!
I'm in my second year, and right on target with 17,093 words. Much thanks to Teresa, who introduced me to NaNo last year!
NaNo 2011 is in full swing! In case you missed the bus on November 1st this year, let me tell you all the reasons which might indicate you should join in this madness with me next year:
1.) If you've ever wanted to write a novel.
2.) If you've ever thought about wanting to write a novel.
3.) If the idea of writing a novel ever excited you, but then you rememembered it would be too hard.
4.) If you like to read. You can write your own book! Writing also deepens the writer's understanding of reading in general.
5.) You can be my writing buddy!
6.) It's free!
7.) It's totally for fun, but if you finish, it's also a major accomplishment!

If you're interested, you can plan ahead for next November, or you can try out the new Camp NaNoWriMo (also online and also free) during the summer! There's a link to the website under "my favorite websites."

No comments:

Post a Comment