Pages

Friday, March 16, 2012

Controversy: YA Fiction...Yea or Nay?


















A poll is an informal and, admittedly, kind of fun way to start off this opinion post! Share your thoughts:

Here's an Intro to YA novels:
     -YA is an abbreviation for "Young Adult." It's a genre of fiction for, you guessed it, YOUNG ADULTS!
     -It's a step between books for children and books for adults. Target age is 13-19 ish.
     -Usually, the writing is distilled to "mostly action," rather than pages of description.
     -Many times, the ending will be happy, or at least bitter-sweet, as opposed to tragic.
     -The genre is a stepping stone, so teens don't have to jump from readings A Wrinkle in Time to The Grapes of Wrath. Which is essentially what I did in my Jr. year of high school *deep dark confession*
    
     Anyway!    
     The next 3 weeks will be a mini-series to raise awareness about this wonderful (and relatively new) genre of books. I want to dispel the notion that they are all "trash." In the next 3 posts, I will write my opinion to 3 questions/assumptions I've heard about the genre: 1.) Aren't they brimming with morally horrendous content? 2.) Aren't they all "fluff," with no fiber? 3.)How are they, er, craftsmanship-wise? Basically, are they worth reading, and are they safe for my kid/teen to read?
     So, that's the Intro! I hope it whets your appetite for discussion. I would love to hear your opinions in the comments. I study these types of things, since I work on the YA Summer Reading Program at the library. Have a good week!

No comments:

Post a Comment